AINP: Employer-Driven Stream: Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions about the Employer-Driven Stream.

Questions regarding March 14, 2011 changes

If I submitted my application postmarked prior to or on March 14, 2011 under the AINP Employer-Driven Stream, Skilled Worker Category as a supervisor, foreman, or tradesperson, what will happen to my application?
Your application will be processed based on the criteria posted prior to March 14, 2011 and will still be assessed under the Employer-Driven Stream, Skilled Worker Category. For your reference, the AINP criteria for the Employer-Driven Stream, Skilled Worker Category posted on this website prior to March 14, 2011 are outlined in this document (PDF).

Applications submitted to the AINP Employer-Driven Stream from supervisors, foremen, and tradespeople, working in occupations designated as Compulsory or Optional Trades postmarked after March 14, 2011 will be returned to the Candidate.

I am an employer of supervisors, foremen, or tradespersons working in occupations designated as Compulsory or Optional Trades. How does this change benefit me?
Journeypersons are highly trained and skilled in their trade. With that level of competence at your disposal, you are assured of increased product quality, enhanced customer satisfaction, and a competitive edge on companies with less-skilled workers.

I am an employer of chefs/cooks/line cooks.  Why am I no longer eligible to apply under the Employer-Driven Stream for these occupations? What are the benefits of this change for me?
For employers of chefs, cooks, and line cooks, as of March 14, 2011, there are no longer limits as to the number of Alberta trade certified chefs, cooks, or line cooks, from a given establishment that can apply under the Strategic Recruitment Stream, Compulsory and Optional Trades Category. As an employer, you can retain more of your valued, journeyperson-level employees.

I am a supervisor, foreman, or tradesperson working in an occupation designated as a Compulsory or Optional Trade. Why am I no longer eligible to apply under the Employer-Driven Stream?
By obtaining an Alberta Qualification Certificate in your trade, you will be invited to apply directly to the AINP without the support of a nominating employer under the Strategic Recruitment Stream (SRS). This change will allow you, as an Alberta certified tradesperson, to readily respond to employment opportunities and obtain new work permits, should your current employment situation change.

The SRS also allows for faster processing times than the Employer-Driven Stream.

An Alberta Qualification Certificate indicates that you are fully qualified and are recognized as a journeyperson in your trade.

See the following news release for more information.

Other Employer-Driven Stream questions

Is the Alberta Employer required to submit financial statements?
No. The Alberta Employer does not have to submit financial statements; however, the AINP reserves the right to request financial statements to ensure the company is operational and viable.

Does a temporary foreign worker (TFW) have to maintain their work permit if they have submitted an application to or received a nomination from the AINP?
Yes. An application to the AINP or a nomination from the AINP is not a work permit renewal and does not give a TFW status in Canada. It is the responsibility of the Alberta Employer and the TFW to ensure that the work permit of the TFW is valid throughout the AINP process and until receiving permanent residence status from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). All applications for work permit renewals must be made through CIC and should be made well in advance of the work permit expiry date.

Will the AINP prioritize applications where a work permit is close to expiry?
No. The AINP does not grant priority processing for applications where work permits are due to expire soon. It is not guaranteed that an AINP application will be assessed prior to a work permit expiry. Alberta Employers and Candidates should be aware of AINP Processing Times.

What is the difference between the Temporary Foreign Worker Program and the AINP?

Both the Temporary Foreign Worker Program and the AINP are designed to help employers meet shortages of workers in skilled and selected semi-skilled jobs.

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program allows a person, who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, to work in Canada temporarily with a Work Permit. The person may work in Canada until his or her Work Permit expires. A person may be eligible to apply for a renewal of their Work Permit, before it expires, from within Canada.

The AINP helps candidates gain permanent residence. It is designed to:

  • Give support to employers who need to fill permanent positions with persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
  • Meet Alberta’s long-term labour market needs.

Which government department administers the Temporary Foreign Worker Program?
The program is primarily administered by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

  • Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC)
    An employer applies to HRSDC for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) confirmation on behalf of the potential temporary foreign worker. If the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) is positive, the potential temporary foreign worker applies to:
  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
    The potential temporary foreign worker applies to CIC for a work permit. If CIC approves the application for a work permit, they then issue the work permit to the temporary foreign worker to allow him or her to work in Canada.

How long will it take for the AINP to assess my application? If I am approved by the AINP, how long does it take CIC to assess my application in the second step?
Visit AINP Processing Times

Visit CIC Processing Times

Is there a fee for submitting an application to the AINP?

No. There is no cost to submit an application to the AINP.

Is there a fee to apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for the permanent residence?
Yes. You must pay fees to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) when you apply for permanent residence.

Does an approval for a nomination by the AINP ensure that Citizenship and Immigration Canada will issue a permanent residence to a Provincial Nominee?
No. A provincial nomination does not ensure that a Provincial Nominee will receive permanent residence.

Can I apply under the AINP when I already have a Skilled Worker Class application for permanent residence in process?

Yes. The decision to apply to both programs is up to you. However, depending on the processing status of the Skilled Worker Class application for permanent residence, there may or may not be an advantage to applying to both programs.

Does the AINP require birth certificates, police checks, security checks and photographs?

No. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) requires these documents for permanent residence. Do not send them to the AINP.

After the AINP approves me as a Provincial Nominee, how long do I have to submit my application for permanent residence to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)?

You have 180 days to submit your application to CIC.

What is the difference between a Candidate and a Provincial Nominee?

A Candidate has not yet been approved by the AINP.  A Provincial Nominee has been approved by the AINP.

I would like to apply to the AINP but I do not have an employer or a job offer. Can you help me find an employer?
No. The AINP cannot give you the names of potential employers. If you wish to search for jobs in Alberta, visit the Jobs in Alberta website.

Can my family members accompany me to Canada?

Yes. Your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children can be included as accompanying dependents on your application for permanent residence that you send to CIC once you are a provincial nominee. This is subject to approval by CIC.

I have been approved as a Provincial Nominee. What do I do next?

Visit the After you’re nominated section on our website.

Do I need to use an immigration consultant or lawyer to complete my application?

No. Visit our Using an Immigration Representative section on our website for more information.

I am an immigration consultant and I have several clients who wish to immigrate to Alberta, can you provide a list of employers who are seeking foreign workers?

No. The AINP cannot provide you with a list of potential employers.



Date Updated: Mar 14, 2011