Form: NR73 Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada)

Your residency status if you left Canada


  • If you are working temporarily outside Canada, vacationing outside Canada, commuting (going back and forth daily or weekly) from Canada to your place of work in the United States, or teaching or attending school in another country, and you maintain residential ties with Canada, you may be considered a factual resident of Canada.
  • If you left Canada and established a permanent home in another country and you severed your residential ties with Canada and ceased to be a resident of Canada in the tax year, you may be considered an emigrant.
  • If you established ties in a country that Canada has a tax treaty with and you are considered a resident of that country, but you are otherwise a factual resident of Canada, meaning you maintain significant residential ties with Canada, you may be considered a deemed non-resident of Canada. The same rules apply to deemed non-residents as non-residents of Canada.
  • If you left Canada and you are a government employee outside Canada, which includes members of the Canadian Forces posted abroad, you are usually considered a factual resident or a deemed resident of Canada. For more information, see Government employees outside Canada.


You can view this form in:

PDF nr73-12e (43 KB)
PDF fillable/saveable nr73-fill-12e (290 KB)

For people with visual impairments, the following alternate formats are also available:

E-text nr73-12e (18 KB)
Large print nr73-lp-12e (79 KB)

Last update: 2012-11-14

This document is only available in electronic format.