SINP: Students

The Student Category allows eligible post-secondary graduates to apply for landed immigrant status under the SINP. There are two streams of the Student Category: the Post-Graduation Work Permit Stream and the Master’s and PhD Graduate Stream.


Post-Graduation Work Permit Stream

You may qualify to apply under the SINP Student Category: Post-Graduation Work Permit Stream if:

  1. You have graduated with a certificate, diploma or degree from a recognized post-secondary educational institution inCanada.  The program must have been equivalent to at least one academic year (eight months) of full-time study.
  2. You have worked for at least six months (with minimum 960 hours) of paid employment in Saskatchewan.  Eligible types of work experience inSaskatchewan include on-campus, off-campus, co-op terms, graduate fellowships that can be verified by your institution, and work experience gained on a post-graduate work permit.
  3. You have applied for and received a post-graduation work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
  4. You have a current, permanent, full-time job offer from aSaskatchewanemployer.  The job offer does not have to relate to your studies.

Master’s and PhD Graduate Stream

You may qualify to apply under the SINP Student Category: Master’s and PhD Graduate Stream if:

  1. You have completed all degree requirements for an existing Master’s and/or PhD program that required at least one academic year of full-time study from theUniversityofSaskatchewanor the UniversityofRegina.
  2. You are applying within two years of the date on which your degree was granted and from a country in which you have legal status.
  3. You intend to live inSaskatchewanand are able to demonstrate your ability to settle and work inSaskatchewanwith at least one of the following:
  • Have at least six months of employment history in your field of training inSaskatchewan;
  • Are currently employed in your field of training or have received a job offer in your field of training inSaskatchewanfor a term longer than six months;
  • Your spouse is currently employed in Saskatchewan in a permanent, full-time position; or,
  • You have enough money to sustain for a short time without work ($10,000 for you and $2,000 for each accompanying family member).

Common Questions

Answers to our most frequently asked questions regarding the Student Category.