SINP: General Questions

What is the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)?

The SINP is an immigration program under which the Province of Saskatchewan selects individuals from other countries who intend to settle in Saskatchewan and nominates them to the federal government for landed immigrant status.  The SINP eligibility criteria reflect the specific needs of Saskatchewan’s labour market and economy.

How do I apply under the SINP?

You must complete the SINP application in one of eight categories:  Skilled Workers, Family Members, Health Professions, Entrepreneurs, Farm Owner/Operators, Students, Long Haul Truck Driver, and Hospitality Sector Pilot Project.  At the same time, you must also complete the federal application forms.  Your SINP and federal applications will be reviewed by SINP program officers.  If you meet the SINP eligibility criteria, you will be nominated to the federal government.

When you receive notice of your nomination, you must then submit the federal application to the appropriate visa office of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).  CIC will then review your file and complete health, security and criminal background checks.  CIC will also check for fraud and misrepresentation.

My application was not accepted.  What are my options?

If your application was not approved and you think there was an error, you can request a second review.  In a second review, your application is sent to a different Manager and you will be notified of their decision.

To request a second review you must send a signed letter to the SINP within 45 days of the date on the refusal letter.  In your letter, you must clearly state what you feel the error is.

The second review is based on the information in your existing application, so you will not be able to add documents or information to support your case.  If you have new documents or information, you will have to submit a new application to the SINP.

Do I need to meet the eligibility requirements of federal immigration classes?

No.  The SINP’s eligibility criteria will be used to assess your application.  You will, however, be subject to the federal government’s health, security and criminality reviews, and you could be asked to supply additional information to CIC.  In some cases, individuals who would be refused under federal immigration classes may be approved under Saskatchewan’s criteria.

In addition to Health, Criminality and Security checks, CIC may request any additional information that it deems appropriate at any time during the application process. This may include asking Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) nominees to submit International Language Testing System test results.

If you are refused at the federal level, you will not receive your landed immigrant status.

How long will it take to get a visa through the SINP?

Processing times vary, however, successful SINP applications typically receive their landed immigrant status considerably quicker than individuals applying through federal immigration classes.

Will I be interviewed by a federal immigration officer?

This is up to the federal Immigration officer who has been assigned to your file.  CIC will contact you if an interview is deemed necessary.

Where do I submit the SINP application?

Saskatchewan Advanced Education and Employment
Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program
7th floor, 1945 Hamilton Street
Regina, SK S4P 2C8

Am I required to get a medical check done?

Yes, CIC will require medical checks for you and your family members.  CIC will send you instructions on how and when you should complete your medical exams.  It is important to note that all family members must complete a medical exam even if they are not accompanying you.

Will background checks be done on me?

Yes.  SINP nominees and their adult family members undergo security and criminality screening as well as checks for fraud and misrepresentation by CIC, as do all other immigrants to Canada.  This will occur when your application is sent to the federal visa office processing for your country after receiving a nomination from the SINP.

Do I need to declare all of my immediate family members (spouse and children) even if they are not accompanying me to Saskatchewan?

Yes.  You must declare all immediate family members whether or not they are accompanying you to Saskatchewan.

What financial assets do I need under the SINP?

This varies among the seven SINP categories.  There are no financial requirements under the Skilled Workers, Health Professions, Students and Long Haul Truck Driver categories, but federal guidelines recommend that immigrants arrive with a minimum of $10,000 plus $2,000 for each dependent, or some other source of financial support in Canada.

Under the Family Members Category, if the applicant does not have a permanent full-time job offer in Saskatchewan, the principal applicant must have proof of $10,000 plus $2,000 for each dependant.  These funds can come from the principal applicant, their supporting family member, or a combination of both.

Entrepreneurs should have financial resources appropriate for their business plans in Saskatchewan and have a minimum personal net worth of CDN $250,000;  Farmers must prove a net worth of CDN $500,000.

I am eager to move as soon as possible.  When should I make arrangements to move to Saskatchewan?

Applicants should not make irrevocable arrangements to move from their current country of residence (such as quitting their job, selling their house or business) until they are notified by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that a visa is being issued to them.

I have applied for refugee status in Canada.  Can I also apply under the SINP?

No.  The SINP will not process applications from individuals that currently have a refugee claim in Canada.

I have submitted an application to CIC.  This application has not been assessed yet.  Would it be beneficial for me to apply to the SINP?

Generally speaking, the processing time for applicants to apply for permanent resident status through the SINP will be shorter than the processing time for going through the federal process without provincial nomination.  Most SINP applicants will complete the full process in approximately 12-18 months if all the required documents are provided with the initial application.  You should check the average processing time for federal applicants at the visa office where you submitted your federal application.  You should also contact the relevant visa office for further details about their specific requirements to process your application as a provincial nominee.  Visa offices in different countries may have different requirements and practices related to this issue.

You should also consider the following:

  • If you decide to apply to the provincial nominee program while you have an application waiting for processing in another federal class, you may be charged twice by CIC;  once for your current application in the federal visa office, and again for your application as an SINP nominee.  The SINP, however, does not change a fee.
  • You may have to fill out your forms and prepare your supporting documents again because the federal immigration office may not return your application documents for you to use in order to file your application to the SINP.

If you believe you will benefit from submitting a provincial nomination application to the visa office, you can apply to the SINP.  Once you receive a nomination letter from us, you must notify the visa office that is currently processing your federal application for further instructions on paying fees and submitting your new application.

Do the principal applicant and their accompanying spouse both need to meet the SINP criteria?

No.  Only the principal applicant needs to meet the SINP criteria.

How can I meet the language requirements?

If you were educated in a country where the first language is English you may not need additional proof of your language ability.  If your first language is not English you must prove your English language ability with one of the following:

  • SINP 500-8 Affidavit of English Language Ability
    • If you have a job offer from a Saskatchewan employer, they must complete this form to verify that you have language skills necessary to do the job;
  • Education/training documents that demonstrate you have attended education institutions where the language of instruction was English/French and show the length of the program;
  • Language testing results that equal a score of six or greater on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS);
  • Certificates of English/French Language training with a letter that shows the length of the program; or
  • Employment references with English/French as the principal language of communication.

Do I need to hire a lawyer, immigration consultant, or representative to help me complete my application or advise me?

You do not need to hire a lawyer, immigration consultant or representative to access this immigration program or to advise you on your application if you feel you do not need one.  They may be of assistance in completing your application if you have difficulty understanding the forms.

Hiring someone does not mean that your application will receive special attention or be handled differently from any other application that we receive.